Sunday, May 4, 2014

As the Titanic... We don't see the Iceberg

The most important thing I learn was the culture is like an Iceberg, because when we see something about a country, We only see thing like language, tipical food, tipical clothing, important artists, famous writers and all the topics like these. Professor Pablo Villa emphasized this part of the subject and He made us to reflect on whether it was important to focus on trying to learn only about these things or about all the topics of the country like nature of friendship, beliefs, values, ideas concering governing, childraising, etc.

Also we relate these with stereotypes, how these things make a inaccurate image of the people or the whole country so if we going to search information about a country we need to investigate for more accurate information and try to avoid the generalization of the people.

All these ideas was new for me and I started to think about how we alway generalize when we talk about people on diferent country or also people in diferent cities of the same country and that caused my mind blow, because we live for make stereotypes of what we don't know.

"THE WHOLE SOCIETY DICTATES WHAT WE THINK OF OTHERS AND IS ALWAYS A STEREOTYPE".


If we will be teachers, we must change this paradigm, not only for us but for all our future students, beacuse we will build future generations and many of the things they think will emerge from our knowledge.

Finally, maybe this was the intention of Professor Pablo Villa on first, that we become aware of this issue, not only because it is something we must learn, at least that is what I think.

I want to exhibit the following questions to close my posting: what you concluded about this, and if you are in agreement or disagreement with my point of view?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi , Pedro. I absolutely agree with your point of view and something similar happens to me. Since I participate of this class, I'm a little bit more careful with my words than I was before. I tried not to fall in stereotypes or prejudices, but there were a lot of subtleties that I didn't consider. Stereotypes are big obstacles when we want to get to know some place or someone. I guess it's not necessary to think in people from other places to apply this, because we're surrounded by people different to us. Nowadays, we face stereotypes since we're little kids because all the Mass Media are constantly showing and spreading this kind of things.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete