Sunday, May 4, 2014

Do not judge a movie by its cover


[Although Thunderheart was a movie that we saw a while ago, due to some health condition I missed the class and I just saw it last week]

Stereotypes, first impressions… despite how much we have talked about this topic I have come across (once again) to the awful realization that I still have a long road to go about this particular issue. 

It's 11 pm, I have the test tomorrow afternoon, and I still haven’t seen the movie. 7 a.m. Day of the test and I realize that I cannot possible keep on procrastinating the movie and decide to watch it with my mom in order to focus and pay attention to it. 11 a.m. Tears falling from my eyes, and wondering how could I possibly not wanted to see this amazing movie.

Thunderheart taught me many things:

First of all made me realize how little I actually internalized the topics seen in classes; I didn’t want to watch it ‘cause I thought it would be a lame movie about some Indians, but MY GOD how wrong I was. It made me question about my values, my principles because being brutally honest I am a little bit like detective Ray Levoi (at the begginning); I have always been attracted to culture from other countries, but I have never paid attention to my own culture, the culture of the country that I was born in, my origins. 

And that made me think a lot about the class of Culture and Identity, the awareness about my sense of belonging towards my country, how much do I identify with my background. 

And in other hand, about prejudice and discrimination that we see towards natives, something that happens even in our own country, even though the movie is based loosely on an issue that happened on 1972, today in 2014, we can still see the “conflict view” that proposed Moran, for example Mapuche people in conflict.


This movie totally took me out of my comfort zone and made me question my way of thinking and the way I see things, showed me a side of myself to which I have to pay attention in order to improve it, and hopefully change my point of view and avoid judging something by the first impression.




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~~I totally agree with what you say. I think it is not necessary to look to other cultures when we, in our own land, have a good example of conflict view. The Mapuche
    I think we are always widespread. We don't do it intentionally, is something that comes naturally from within, and when we realize how that can be interpreted, it is too late. The words have been spoken. So, let's be careful!~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claudia

    I totally agree with you because I I think we should learn to value and learn our culture first and then learn another culture. Another part I liked your entry, is that we must first know people before judging with the first impression. As we are all the same and different at the same time and that makes us special. Well we can all learn to know different cultures.
    I liked your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you but at the same time in disagree, because the movie shows many stereotypes about Indians, the drunk, the spiritual guide and the great warrior, but at the same time, I share your feeling that often neglect our own culture or our native peoples, and we represent with foreign cultures over our own culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claudia, I agree with you. We look more to other places than to the one we live in. That's why I wanted to write about a short -and liar- documentary I saw some months ago -you're invited to read it- . When I saw it, I asked myself how can we learn about other countries when we know sometimes as much as a tourist does about ours. It's funny because in a campaign to incentivate people to know about the Indigenous peoples, they show very superficial aspects related to their daily life and problems. Our country has still some indigenous peoples, but once upon a time there were a lot of them. They are our past, and if the Government -or us- doesn't assume their big importance, someday they'll be just a memory or part of a chapter in some history book.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete