Thursday, March 27, 2014

Do not judge based on first impressions

After many days of thinking and trying to decide which of the many songs that I love I would use, I chose this song called "Stand by me" by the british band Oasis, mostly because of its video. I believe that gives us a really important message about prejudice and first impressions, which I think really fits the topics that we've seen so far in classes. 



This song was written by Noel Gallagher, and the video uses a serie of adverts called "The Whole Picture" in which we can see situations that lead you to think that people are doing bad things but as the video progresses you can see what was really going on. 

The message is really powerful: you can't judge someone just by the first impression that you get from them, you can't think bad of people because of the stereotypes that society has taught you, you can't discriminate based on overgeneralized opinions. 

This video shocked me the first time I saw it, because I thought bad of all those people, I judged them without really knowing. And at the end I felt awful because I realized that maybe I had been guilty of doing that to someone in real life, and on the contrary I also I felt glad because of the important lesson that I got from it: to stop judging and discriminating

So now I really hope you enjoy the video and I really want to know what did you think as you were watching it (or what did you think the first time you saw it if you had watched it previously). 

And I'll leave here my favourite verse from the song: Times are hard when things have got no meaning. (a verse that I usually use as a motto because I’m trying my best to give my life a meaning). 

No comments:

Post a Comment